Why consider non-surgical skin tightening?
As we age, production of collagen and elastin—two proteins that help our skin stay plump, firm and smooth—slows down, resulting in areas of lax, sagging skin on the face, neck and body. If you are bothered by skin laxity, non-surgical skin tightening can temporarily halt this process and restore a firmer, smoother, more youthful appearance with little to no downtime.
Benefits of non-surgical skin tightening
- Tightens mild to moderately loose skin on the face, neck or body without surgery or scars
- Many treatments can provide a noticeable “lifting” effect
- Little to no downtime is needed
- Very low risk of adverse effects when performed by a qualified provider
- Results appear gradually over several weeks or months following treatment
- Multiple treatments may be needed to achieve desired results
- Treatment will need to be repeated periodically to maintain results
- Not effective on more advanced skin sagging, such as pronounced jowling or stretched skin following pregnancy or weight loss
Ultrasound skin tightening
Some skin tightening treatments use focused ultrasound energy, which heats skin at specific depths and locations to induce collagen production and help skin become firmer. Treatments are delivered via a handheld device, which transmits the ultrasound waves through the skin’s surface. Ultrasound technology has been used in medicine for many decades, and ultrasound skin tightening has an excellent safety profile.
Radiofrequency (RF) treatments
Radiofrequency (RF) energy can also be used to heat the skin and trigger collagen production. In contrast to ultrasound, RF focuses on epidermal layers to achieve a firmer, smoother appearance.