✦What is a Carbon Peel?
The carbon peels offered by Indulgence Aesthetics are only done by qualified and licensed medical estheticians who know their lasers and their skin anatomy. A carbon peel is a laser treatment that is able to get rid of many stubborn skin conditions like acne, scaring, uneven skin tones, the apperence of aging, and more. These peels are also an excellent way to exfoliate your skin and leave it feeling softer, firmer, and smoother. Your medical esthetician will spread a layer of liquid carbon on your face, leaving it for about 10 minutes or so. They will then proceed to use a laser, Nd:YAG, for the remainder of the treatment on various energy settings to help the carbon bind to the topmost layer of your skin. A high-quality moisturizer with SPF will then be applied to your skin, preventing sun damage and dryness.
✦What Does It Treat?
You should consider scheduling an appointment for a carbon peel if you have any of the following...
- Acne Scarring/Pigmentation
- Melasma/Dark Spots/Hyperpigmentation
- Enlarged Pores
- Clogged Pores
- Oily Skin
- Uneven Skin Tone
- Photoaged Skin
- Fine Lines
It is very important to prep your skin before receiving a carbon peel. Oftentimes, we use techniques and products that will make us sensitive to medical treatments like these. The following steps will help you avoid any sensitivity and discomfort during this procedure.
- Avoid using Retinoids like Retin-A, Vitamin C, Glycolic Acid 5 days before your treatment
- Avoid using any other products that cause skin sensitivity 5 days prior to your treatment
- Avoid microdermabrasion or other intense exfoliation 2 weeks prior to your treatment
- Avoid getting injectables like fillers, Botox, etc. 2 weeks prior to your treatment
- If taking anitbiotics, make sure your last does is 7 days prior to your treatment
- Wear sunscreen of at least SPF 30 several days leading up to your appointment
- Refrain from smoking
- If you are prone to cold sores and fever blisters, ask your doctor before getting a carbon peel
It is also important to keep your skin protected from harsh cleansing techniques and sunlight. After getting a carbon peel you should...
- Continue to use a daily moisturizer with an SPF of at least 30
- Expect some flaking and dryness a few days after the peel but DO NOT pick at them
- No retinol-containing products for at least 5 days after the treatment
- No exfoliation of the treated area for at least 1 week after the treatment
- Avoid intense exercise several days after your treatment
- Use products containing collagen, or take collage supplements
- This helps build stronger skin especially when experiencing the affects of aging
✦Is There Any Downtime?
There is no downtime! You can get a carbon peel done and go about your day as you normally would. You may notice a slight redness of the skin and possibly some dryness/flaking a couple days after but other than that, you can get this treatment done and it will look like nothing happened! Just keep using a daily moisturizer with an SPF of at least 30.